Winterhalder and Hofmeier Grandfather Floor Clock, chimes. 83 inches tall, 24 inches wide, 16 1/2 inches deep.
Dial is 10 1/2 inches. It was further manifested from 1850 under the new name Winterhalder & Hofmeier. In 1869 the company was renamed M. Winterhalder & Hofmeier, Friedenweiler und Schwaerzenbach, in Neustadt.
From 1908 the new name was M. The company was part of the Black Forest clockmaker industry as its factory was located in Titisee-Neustadt and surroundings and as it subscribed to high quality standards. The company existed until 1933.It is regarded as one of the finest Victorian clockmakers of the time. Engraved initial letters on back of Winterhalder & Hofmeier clocks from Schwaerzenbach, Black Forest, Germany. The firm Winterhalder Uhrenfabrik was established in 1810 by Thomas Winterhalder. Thomas moved in 1816 with his three sons Matthäus, Karl und Thomas to Friedenweiler where he lived in an old house ("Altes Haus") which he had bought from a monastery. Matthäus Winterhalder (17991863) took over the work rooms in 1830. Clocks were marked from there on with the initials W & H Sch. Anton, Karl, Thomas und Johannes, changed firm name and responsibility in 1869 ("oHG"). The third generation formed on December 19, 1908 a company of limited liability (Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung).
All partners of that company where brothers or cousins to each other. They delivered parts from their own separate firms to the common Winterhalder & Hofmeier company. At that time the firm had (including homeworkers) about 800 employees and a turnover of one million Mark. During First World War production had to change to war material, especially ignators for shells.
Linus Winterhalder died in 1932, and Winterhalder & Hofmeier had to stop production in 1933 due to lack of liquidity. On June 2, 1937 the company was stroken off the commercial register. Clocks from Winterhalder & Hofmeier are mechanical precion clocks with the quality standards of Black Forest craftsmenship.
 The numbers of the dial face are in Roman numerals. The dial face is embraced by wood. The clocks can be identified by the engraved W & H SCH initial letters.
Most of the clocks were made from 1850 to 1933. Bracket clocks and grandfather clocks were mainly exported to the UK, Ireland and the United States, others to Russia, Japan and China. Nowadays these clocks are demanded in the antique trade on the former Northamerican export market. A private collection of Winterhalder & Hofmeier clocks is located in Schwaerzenbach, a part of the city of Titisee-Neustadt.The item "Antique Winterhalder & Hofmeier Grandfather Tall Floor Clock Westminster chimes" is in sale since Friday, March 29, 2019. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Clocks\Antique (Pre-1930)\Other Antique Clocks". The seller is "thisidisnotmyaddress" and is located in Beverly Hills, California. This item can't be shipped, the buyer must pick up the item.